April 7, 2018: Black Women’s March: Continuing the Legacy of Harriet Tubman
A few demands provided by Black Women in Westchester, Ulster, Orange, and Rockland Counties:
- Improved services for Black LGBTQ gender non-conforming folks
- The silence and complacency regarding the continued murder and brutalization of trans women, especially black trans women
- Eradicate poverty
- Address environmental racism that occurs in communities like Newburgh’s PFOS water contamination and generational high lead levels
- Improve education, especially in the East Ramapo School District
- Transform and dismantle the police
- Disinvest in police, invest in community
- Eliminating cash bail in New York - we need legitimate Alternative To Incarceration (ATI) programs that are not electronic monitoring, probation and other fucked up governmental programs
- Improve mental health services
- Address drug use impacting Black families, through public health not criminalization
- End the mass incarceration that is tearing Black families apart
- Address disparity in the foster care system
- End sexual violence against Black women. Believe them.
- Job opportunities that include a living wage
- Affordable childcare
- Safe, decent and affordable housing
- Safety in our homes (from state and intimate partner violence)
- Address inadequate or non-existent legal criminal defense
- Stop policing Black Women on their anger
- Stop using us for legitimacy in your predominately-white agencies
- Financial institutions cease charging fees for minor transactions
- Access to bank accounts without being charged fees for not maintaining a certain balance
- Ability for undocumented Black and Brown women to secure Drivers' licenses
- Stop arresting Black and Trans Women for survivor crimes
- Improved transportation infrastructure
- Reduce and eliminate states’ social control and punishment in the judicial system (criminal and family)
- We are not a monolithic people and the One Black Women in the room is no longer acceptable
- NY state enact racial impact laws- provide opportunity for policymakers to consider alternative approaches that do not worsen disparities. (Similar to fiscal and environmental impact statements)
- Access to necessary and needed hormone treatment
- Reproductive justice, having a say over our bodies, choice to have many children or none at all
11:00am - 12:00pm
CVS Parking Lot near the intersection of Broadway and Route 119 in Tarrytown, NY.
Rally kick off. Information about the march.
12:00pm - 2:30pm
March over the Mario Cuomo Bridge (formerly the Tappan Zee Bridge)
March 3.1 miles across the Hudson River from Tarrytown to Nyack, across the the Mario Cuomo Bridge (formerly known as the Tappan Zee Bridge).
PLEASE NOTE: At this time the office of Governor Cuomo says it will not allow marchers to cross the bridge. Therefore the march will be a civil disobedience action, subject to arrests.
2:30pm - 3:00pm
March 1.2 miles from the Rockland side of the bridge to Memorial Park in Nyack, location of Toni Morrison’s Bench by the Road commemorating Cynthia Hesdra who operated the Underground Railroad in Nyack in the early 19th Century.
3:00pm - 3:20pm
Memorial Park, Nyack
March organizers address the crowd.
3:30pm - 4:30pm
Memorial Park, Nyack
Speakers, including Phoenix from Newburgh, NY
Close of events
Because Governor Cuomo’s office is saying it will not allow marchers to cross the bridge, the march will be an act of civil disobedience. Because we may not be able to cross the bridge, we are now encouraging people to park on the Westchester side of the Hudson River.
Debido a que la oficina del Gobernador Cuomo dice que no permitirá que los manifestantes crucen el puente, la marcha será un acto de desobediencia civil. Como es posible que no podamos cruzar el puente, ahora estamos alentando a la gente a estacionar en el lado Westchester del Hudson River.
For folks who want to attend but are unable to march:
Para las personas que quieren asistir pero no pueden marchar:
The Nyack Center at 58 Depew Avenue, Nyack, NY, will be open from 11:00am - 5:00pm
Additional Activities / Actividades adicionales:
- Get photographed for the #BeautifulisBlack project / Hazte fotografiar para el proyecto #BeautifulisBlack
- BLM Healers / BLM Curanderos
- Food/Water / Comida/agua
DoubleTree by Hilton (Tarrytown)
The Time (Nyack)
West Gate Inn (Nyack)
26 Route 59, Nyack, NY
Reservation Phone Number: 1-877-358-8181
Web site click here.
Opciones de accesibilidad
For our folks with mobility problems: we have raised money to reimburse anyone who rents a scooter or other personal vehicle. After the march, contact us for reimbursement. Here is a company you can use:
American Mobility Rentals
Locations New York & New Jersey. We service all 5 Boroughs of NYC, Rockland County, Westchester, and most of New Jersey
SCOOTERS · POWER CHAIRS